Open Auditions on Saturday, March 10, 2018
Age 12-20. Advanced dancers, or SJDT dancers entering Level 5, 6
Audition Registration: 12:30-1:00pm
Ladies, please bring pointe shoes.
Age 8-11. Intermediate dancers or SJDT dancers entering Level 3, 4
Audition Registration: 2:30-3:00pm
Ladies, please bring pointe shoes if you have danced on pointe.
Required Audition Photos:
1. Head shot (even a picture from your phone is fine).
2. Picture of the dance in 1st Arabesque. Girls wear a spaghetti strapped leotard, pink tights, and pink soft ballet shoes. Boys wear a white t-shirt, black tights, and black soft ballet shoes.
3. Email both pictures to [email protected] and write the dancer’s name in the subject line. If you prefer to print these 2 pictures and bring them in person to the audition, that would be acceptable as well.
Females please wear a black leotard, pink tights, pink ballet slippers, pointe shoes if appropriate, hair neat and secure in a ballet bun. Please no jewelry other than small earrings.
Males please wear a clean white T-shirt, black tights, dance belt, black ballet shoes. For Lyrical class and Contemporary class, males and females can wear ballet slippers, “foot undies” or go barefoot.
It is recommended that dancers bring a back up set of dance clothes in their bag, in case they need to change.
About San Jose Dance Theatre's Summer Intensive:
San Jose Dance Theatre’s 3-Week Summer Intensive Program is June 18 to July 7, 2018.
Open auditions for the Summer Intensive Program will be held on March 10, 2018. Register now! Video auditions are accepted (more details below).
Classes in the San Jose Dance Theatre Summer Intensive include:
- Ballet Classes
- Conditioning Classes (Pilates, Yoga, much stretching, core strength training, and teachings on injury prevention)
- Pointe and Pre-Pointe Classes for girls
- Men’s Class for boys
- Pas de Deux Classes
- Contemporary Class
- Chinese Tumbling & Stretching
- Ballet Education
- YAGP Private Coaching available
- Repertory and rehearsals for the in-studio showing for all dancers
Mon, Wed. 10:15am-4:15pm
Tues., Thur., Fri. 12:00-6:00pm
Dancers will receive two short breaks and a half hour lunch in which they will be supervised. These will be long days of training and we recommend that the students rest after training and on the weekends during the Summer Intensive.
San Jose Dance Theatre will also continue weekly Open Classes for adults and Pre-Ballet, Level 1 and 2 classes (ages 4-8) throughout the summer.
Important Dates to Save:
Saturday, March 10
Saturday, March 17
Saturday, March 24
Saturday, April 7
Tuesday, May 1
June 18-July 7
Saturday, July 7 at 6pm
SJDT Summer Intensive Auditions. Register Now!
Summer Intensive Acceptance Letters sent out.
$125 Deposit Fee due (non-refundable).
Early Bird Tuition due (save $100 if paid by 4/7).
Full Tuition amount due.
SJDT Summer Intensive (no class on July 4).
Summer Intensive In-Studio Showing with refreshments. Come see what we have been working on in class this summer!
- Deposit Fee$125
Deposit fee secures your spot and is applied toward the tuition total (non-refundable).
- Early Bird Tuition Rate$1325
Save $100 on tuition if you pay tuition in full by Saturday, April 7.
- Full Tuition Rate$1425
Full tuition amount without the Early Bird Special. Tuition due on Tuesday, May 1.
- Weekly Tuition Rate$575
Cost per week for the Summer Intensive. Early Bird Special not available if paying weekly.
Audition Video Requirements:
If a dancer cannot attend the audition in person on March 10, a video audition will be accepted.
Deadline of video audition:
March 9, 2018 at 5:00pm
The video should be posted to a private YouTube or Vimeo account and the link emailed to the Artistic Director: [email protected]
Or the video may be put onto a DVD and mailed to:
Linda Hurkmans, M.A.
San Jose Dance Theatre
1756 Junction Ave. Suite E
San Jose, CA 95112
The video should be 20 minutes in duration, filming the dancer completing exercises on one side.
2. Battement tendus
3. Battement degages
4. Rond de jambe
6. Frappe and petite battement
7. Pirouette or pirouette preparation
8. Jumps at the barre
10. Grand battement
The student then has the choice of showing EITHER a
11. Classical ballet solo variation OR
13. Petite allegro (small jumps)
14. Medium allegro (medium sized jumps)
Summer Intensive Supplies Needed:
1. A dance bag with his/her name on all belongings.
2. Plenty of water. We also have a water cooler for refills.
3. Lunch and one or two small snacks, like a power bar, fruit, or yogurt. Please feel free to use our refrigerator and microwave.
4. Medium strength theraband. Size 5.5″ X 5′ for Pilates classes and pre-pointe classes. Most dancers already have one in their ballet bag, but if not, please purchase one. We will use them to strengthen their feet for releve, jumping, pointe work, and for abdominal work and stretching in Pilates class. Write your child’s name on the theraband. You can purchase one at any ballet store or online (example here).
5. Small paper notepad and pen for taking notes on corrections from class and also new choreography.
6. Small towel.
7. For female students age 10 and up: small 2 lb. ankle weights for each leg. For male students age 12 and up: small 5 lb. ankle weights for each leg. You can purchase them at a sporting good store, Walmart, Target or online (example here).