Join the school of the longest running Nutcracker in San Jose!
Auditions are open to the public and will be held on Sunday, May 3rd, but make up auditions are available by contacting [email protected] Video auditions accepted. San Jose Dance Theatre students entering levels 3-6 should attend the Summer Intensive.
About San Jose Dance Theatre's Summer Intensive:
PROGRAM UPDATE: Summer Intensive format is changing!
Due to popular demand, we will be offering morning classes for this year’s summer intensive program. They will run from 9 am – 12 pm as an addition to our current Summer program. These classes will incorporate a balanced dance program, choreographic development and much more!
Open to all dancers entering Levels 3-6.
Morning program special price just $125 per week.
(Full day tuition $705 per week, daily program unavailable)
Three weeks with morning program $1825 (Early bird $1775)
Afternoon program only $580 per week or $1450 three weeks
(Early bird $1400)
Helpful for the busy working parent! Drop off at 9am, pick up at 6pm!
San Jose Dance Theatre’s 3-Week Summer Intensive Program is June 15 to July 3, 2020.
Registration and open auditions for the Summer Intensive Program will open at the beginning of 2020, and make up auditions are available. Video auditions are accepted until May 31 (more details below).
2020 Classes in the San Jose Dance Theatre Summer Intensive include:
- Ballet Classes
- Progressing Ballet Technique
- Conditioning Classes (Pilates, Yoga, much stretching, core strength training, and teachings on injury prevention)
- Pointe and Pre-Pointe Classes for girls
- Men’s Class for boys
- Pas de Deux Classes
- Character Dance
- Contemporary & Jazz Class
- Chinese Tumbling & Stretching
- Ballet Education
- YAGP Private Coaching available
- Repertory and rehearsals for the in-studio showing for all dancers
Dancers will receive two short breaks and a half hour lunch in which they will be supervised. These will be long days of training and we recommend that the students rest after training and on the weekends during the Summer Intensive.
San Jose Dance Theatre will also continue weekly Open Classes for adults and Pre-Ballet, Level 1 and 2 classes (ages 4-8) throughout the summer.
Summer Intensive Supplies Needed:
Progressing Ballet Technique supply kits now available at our front desk! Kit includes an SJDT mesh black bag, water bottle, required Theraband (already cut to size), and required lacrosse ball. Kits on sale for $28-30. These will also be used for our Fall Semester.
List of supplies needed:
- A dance bag with his/her name on all belongings.
- Water bottle. We have a water cooler for refills, but students must bring their own water bottle.
- Lunch and one or two small snacks, like a power bar, fruit, or yogurt. Please feel free to use our refrigerator and microwave.
- A Theraband that is 6″ wide and 9 feet long. (Please note if you have a smaller Theraband, we are requiring you to purchase this longer one that can be used for all Progressing Ballet Technique and Pilates classes moving forward.) We will use them to strengthen feet for releve, jumping, pointe work, and for abdominal work and stretching in Pilates class. Write your dancer’s name on the Theraband.
- Small paper notepad and pen for taking notes on corrections from class and also new choreography.
- A Lacrosse ball.
- Small towel.
- For female students age 10 and up: small 2 lb. ankle weights for each leg.
- For male students age 12 and up: small 5 lb. ankle weights for each leg. You can purchase them at a sporting good store, Walmart, Target or online (example here).
- Required for Levels 4, 5, & 6: Black character shoes and black character skirts for girls. Character shoes can be purchased at a dance store or online (example here). Boys can just wear black ballet technique shoes. The black character skirt should just cover the knees in length. This can be purchased at a dance store or online (example here).
The exercise balls needed for Progressing Ballet Technique will be provided.
Females please wear a black leotard, pink tights, pink ballet slippers, pointe shoes if appropriate, hair neat and secure in a ballet bun. Please no jewelry other than small earrings.
Males please wear a clean white T-shirt, black tights, dance belt, black ballet shoes. For Lyrical class and Contemporary class, males and females can wear ballet slippers, “foot undies” or go barefoot.
It is recommended that dancers bring a back up set of dance clothes in their bag, in case they need to change.
Sunday, May 3rd, 2020
Auditions are open to the public
Here’s a checklist of things to do or bring to help your audition day go smoothly:
- Register online before the day of the audition. Everyone must register and pay before auditioning. No need to print your registration form.
- Print out your audition photos to be presented at check in. We need a headshot (a school photo is fine) and a picture of the dancer in 1st Arabesque. (See more info below)
- Ladies, please bring pointe shoes, if you have danced on pointe.
- Make sure you know when to arrive for check in for the audition.
- Email [email protected] with any questions about registration, the audition, or the Summer Intensive program.
Required Audition Photos:
1. Head shot (even a picture from your phone is fine).
2. Picture of the dancer in 1st Arabesque. Girls: wear a spaghetti strapped leotard, pink tights, and pink soft ballet shoes. Boys: wear a white t-shirt, black tights, and black soft ballet shoes.
3. Please print out pictures and bring them to the audition.
Audition Video Requirements:
If a dancer cannot attend the audition in person on May 3rd, a video audition will be accepted.
Deadline: May 3rd, 2020
The video should be posted to a private YouTube or Vimeo account and the link emailed to the Artistic Director: [email protected]
Or the video may be put onto a DVD and mailed to:
Linda Hurkmans, M.A.
San Jose Dance Theatre
1756 Junction Ave. Suite E
San Jose, CA 95112
The video should be 20 minutes in duration, filming the dancer completing exercises on one side.
2. Battement tendus
3. Battement degages
4. Rond de jambe
6. Frappe and petite battement
7. Pirouette or pirouette preparation
8. Jumps at the barre
10. Grand battement
The student then has the choice of showing EITHER a
11. Classical ballet solo variation OR
13. Petite allegro (small jumps)
14. Medium allegro (medium sized jumps)
Deposit Fee $125
Non-refundable deposit fee secures your spot and will be applied to total tuition amount. Due March 21.
Early Bird Rate $1400
Save $50 off tuition if registered for all three weeks. Due April 4.
Full Tuition Cost $1450
Full tuition amount for all three weeks. Due May 2.
Weekly Rate $580
Must still pay $125 deposit fee. Does not qualify for any discounts.