Join San Jose Dance Theatre for Summer 2020!
Due to the current crisis we will not be holding summer intensive auditions. We will be automatically accept all dancers to the 2020 Summer Intensive. Please complete the form below to sign up. San Jose Dance Theatre students entering levels 3-6 should attend the Summer Intensive.
What are we doing to keep your children safe through the summer program?
- We will be asking parents to fill out a health check form each day confirming their child does not exhibit symptoms of illness before allowing children into program
- We will be asking staff to fill out a health check form each day confirming they do not exhibit symptoms of illness before coming to work.
- We will take temperatures of all children, staff each day.
- We will be increasing our hand washing schedule to include 20 second handwashing for all participants and staff before program, between each activity, at minimum.
- Face coverings will be asked of all staff and participants while program hours are running. They will not be allowed to enter the building without masks or face coverings.
- We will provide signs related to healthy habits throughout program.
- We will be sending home guidance from the CDC regarding safe health procedures to our families during program.
- Social distancing will be practiced at all times – In studios and at the Barre (set up space for social distancing)
- Groups will be limited to 10-12 students, depending on age
- Groups will not interact with each other throughout the day
- We will not be holding any full class activities
- Staff will be assigned to specific group and will not interact with other groups to the best of our ability.
- A medical isolation space will be established for any child or staff that is feeling ill and in process to be picked up.
- Parents will be required to arrange a pick up within 1 hour of being contacted if their child is not feeling well.
- All activities will be individual based or adjusted for safe interactions following social distancing rules.
- Staff will monitor health by doing visual health checks of children and staff throughout the day.
- We have increased our cleaning schedule to wipe down surfaces throughout the day and at minimum, all surfaces will be cleaned
- Before program
- Between activities
- After pick up
- We will minimize shared equipment as much as possible. When sharing is necessary, equipment will be cleaned between each use
- Equipment will be assigned to a child and sanitized after use
- Activities will be adjusted for non-touch.
- Backpacks will be kept with separation from other children’s items
- We ask that dancers to come to class with no more than what they need for the day.
- Bathrooms will be wiped down after use
- Hand sanitizer will be provided at all time
- Gloves to be worn during cleaning
About San Jose Dance Theatre's Summer Intensive
Summer Intensive format is changing!
Open to all dancers entering Levels 3-6.
San Jose Dance Theatre’s 3-Week Summer Intensive Program
June 15 to July 3, 2020.
2020 Classes in the San Jose Dance Theatre Summer Intensive include Ballet Classes, Pilates, Progressing Ballet Technique, Conditioning, Pointe, Variations, Character Dance, Contemporary, Modern, Jazz, Chinese Tumbling, and Ballet Education.
New in-person intensive price – All levels $1100
You can still participate 100% on line
All Levels – $560
Summer Pre-Ballet, Level 1 and Level 2 classes at San Jose Dance Theatre Online through Zoom
Pre-Ballet L1, L2 Summer Sign up form!
Summer Intensive Supplies Needed for Online Intensive
List of supplies needed:Water bottle. Please stay hydrated during summer classes!
- A Theraband that is 6″ wide and 9 feet long. (Please note if you have a smaller Theraband, we are requiring you to purchase this longer one that can be used for all Progressing Ballet Technique and Pilates classes moving forward.) We will use them to strengthen feet for releve, jumping, pointe work, and for abdominal work and stretching in Pilates class. Write your dancer’s name on the Theraband.
- Small paper notepad and pen for taking notes on corrections from class and also new choreography.
- A Lacrosse ball.
- Small towel.
- For female students age 10 and up: small 2 lb. ankle weights for each leg.
- For male students age 12 and up: small 5 lb. ankle weights for each leg. You can purchase them at a sporting good store, Walmart, Target or online (example here).
- Required for Levels 4, 5, & 6: Black character shoes and black character skirts for girls. Character shoes can be purchased at a dance store or online (example here). Boys can just wear black ballet technique shoes. The black character skirt should just cover the knees in length. This can be purchased at a dance store or online (example here).
- Yoga Mat example Here
- Big Exercise ball needed for Progressing Ballet Technique, but a sturdy chair will suffice
- Due to the length of the Shelter In Place order, it is recommended that you help your dancer with these items.
- Enough room to dance and move arms and legs up freely without kicking furniture.
- Yoga Mat
- Work with them so that their ENTIRE body can be seen by the teacher. Help them to place their screen far enough in the roomthat they can be seen.
- Female Dancers MUST wear leotard of any color, tights, hair in a ballet bun.
- Male Dancers MUST wear white or black T-shirt, black tights and shoes.
- Optional but extremely helpful for your dancer to get the most out of his or her training:
Helpful Materials for dancing at home during “Shelter In”
We just ask that dancers try to avoid dancing on pointe directly on carpets. Please be careful.
Marley suggestions: (Note Shipping might be delayed.Remember that Hardwood Stores ARE OPEN and considered essential and you can order Curb Side Pick Up from Lowes or Home Depot for safe no contact shopping.)
Females please wear a black leotard with Spaghetti straps, tights, ballet slippers, pointe shoes if appropriate, hair neat and secure in a ballet bun. Please no jewelry other than small earrings.
Males please wear a clean white T-shirt, black tights, dance belt, black ballet shoes.
Modern class: Males and females can wear ballet slippers, “foot undies” or go barefoot. For
Jazz class: Dancers wear Black Jazz shoes.
Character Class: Females black character shoes and black skirt that goes to the knee. Males may wear their ballet uniform.
Pilates, PBT, Chinese Tumbling: Males and females wear Ballet uniform and may chose between wearing ballet slippers or going barefoot.
It is recommended that dancers bring a back up set of dance clothes in their bag, in case they need to change.
San Jose Dance Theatre will also continue weekly Open Classes for adults and Pre-Ballet, Level 1 and 2 classes (ages 4-8) throughout the summer. Pre-Ballet, Level 1, 2 Ballet Classes and Chinese Tumbling will continue on Tuesdays and Saturdays throughout the summer. Open Classes will continue on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturdays throughout the summer. A Youth Summer Semester of classes Pre-Ballet through Level 6 will occur AFTER the San Jose Dance Theatre Summer Intensive in July and August. Due to the Covid-19 Crisis this year we will offer and enchanced schedule from July 13 – Aug 9th.
Families who have shelter in credit can apply this to all of the summer classes from Pre-ballet to Level 6, including the Summer Intensive.